On Jan. 12, Anthony Lynn became head coach of the Chargers – the same day that owner Dean Spanos announced that the franchise would relocate from San Diego to Los Angeles.
“It’s been crazy,” Lynn said in studio on CBS Sports Radio’s Gio and Jones. “I left Buffalo three weeks ago and I just made it back yesterday. It’s been crazy putting a staff together, going down to the Senior Bowl, trying to complete the staff, looking at new talent, the move to L.A. – its been a whirlwind. But it’s been pretty exciting, though.”
Lynn, 48, was the Bills’ offensive coordinator and, following Rex Ryan’s dismissal, interim head coach. He is about to embark on his first head-coaching job, and he’ll do so amidst a relocation.
“We’re going to stay in San Diego until after the last minicamp,” Lynn said. “We don’t actually move until June 20, so when the fellas come back from summer break, it’s all football. It doesn’t matter where we’re playing. We’re going to be so involved in football that I don’t think it’s going to be much of a distraction as far as where we’re at. I think most of the guys are actually excited to go to L.A., from the guys I’ve spoken with. So I’m looking forward to it, just leading the team through this transition. I’ve been preparing to be a head coach for a long time. I’ve watched other guys do it, I know what I want to do, how I want to do it – so I’m looking forward to it.”
Lynn believes he is a good fit for the Chargers and that the Chargers are a good fit for him.
“I knew five minutes into the interview,” he said. “I asked them, ‘What are you looking for in a head coach?’ That took them awhile to explain that, but I feel really good about what they’re looking for in a head coach. I felt like they were describing me. They needed someone to come in and lead – not just the locker room, but the organization – and I had a plan for that.”
The Chargers have missed the playoffs in six of the last seven seasons are coming off the worst two-year stretch (9-23) since 2000-01 (6-26). Still, Lynn does not believe that the franchise is in rebuilding mode.
“I think we can compete right away,” he said. “I know we can. They did have a lot of injuries last year – 21, 22 guys went on IR, some really key players. So we get those guys back, we add a few more pieces, and you look at our roster – we’ve got talent on defense on every level. On offense, (our) quarterback (is) playing at a high level. We have to reduce the turnovers there, but we got a runner in the back end, a couple wide receivers – we’re not bad. We got a good group of veterans and young talent.”